On June 18, 2019, the regulation under Rowan’s Law was filed and certain sections of both the law and the regulation came into effect on July 1, 2019.
What this means for our clubs, volunteers and athletes:
1. Any participant who registers with an OCF member (club/school) needs to complete the following 2 items:
- Confirm they have read a Ministry Approved Concussion Awareness Resource for their age group and
- Confirm they have reviewed, and committed to, the Ontario Cheerleading Concussion Code of Conduct
Both of these requirements will need to be confirmed on a yearly basis.
2. Coaches, Instructors and Officials need to:
- Confirm they have read a Ministry Approved Concussion Awareness Resource and
- Confirm they have reviewed, and committed to, the Ontario Cheerleading Coach/Officials Concussion Code of Conduct
3. Team Trainers, which are defined as an individual who is assigned by a sport organization to respond to athletic injuries, are also required to meet the same requirements as coaches.
The law very clearly states that the Concussion Awareness Resource has to be a Ministry Approved item. At this point, the Ministry has only produced the e-booklets linked below. The Ministry has indicated they are not planning to approve any other resource, training or qualifications under this legislation. As more resources become available from the Ministry, or if their position changes, the OCF will communicate with all of our member clubs/schools.
Below are the Ministry Approved Concussion Resources for participants, coaches/trainers and officials.
Concussion Awareness Resources Ages 10 and under
Concussion Awareness Resources Ages 11 to 14
Concussion Awareness Resources Ages 15 and up
Concussion Code of Conduct
OCF Concussion Code of Conduct
Other Concussion Resources
The Canadian Guideline on Concussion in Sport
Concussion-Recognition Tool 5
Medical Assessment Letter
Medical Clearance Letter
OCF Further Recommendations
Although it is not required, the OCF also further recommends the following:
1. That each club/school allows the time for everyone and anyone to ask any and all questions they may have with respect to Rowan’s Law and that they are answered to each family’s satisfaction
2. That each club/school provide a waiver or written confirmation that they and their athletes have in fact reviewed/read/watched the required approved ministry resources, have asked any and all questions, and agree that they have read and are aware of the OCF Concussion Code of Conduct and its policies